Friday, November 16, 2007

Larry Kudlow Syndrome (LKS)

It should by now be obvious to all that to still be a Republican like CNBC's Larry Kudlow, you have to, consciously or unconsciously, believe in things that aren't true, or at least pretend to. You have to suspend disbelief (and ignore facts). It's very in vogue among "conservative Republicans" nowadays.

I went to lunch with my insurance agent the other day - a very right-wing, Republican guy.

I mentioned Barack Obama and he told me that Obama doesn't put his hand over his heart during the pledge of allegiance.

I said "huh"? I can't believe that. Did you see him do that?

No, he didn't.

Did you read it or see it on O'Reilly or something?

He couldn't remember, but was comfortable passing it off as fact to whomever he met.

I looked up the rumor on the internet and it is of course false, due to one misleading picture of Obama without his hand over his heart during the national anthem. There are plenty of pictures of Obama on the net having his hand over his heart pledging allegiance. It's a non-issue.

For millions of Americans, though, Obama is a commie who won't pledge allegiance to our flag!

When I emailed him the truth he said "I cannot remember where I read it. In any case, he has enough stuff against him for me to not want anything to do with him." He didn't say what the "stuff" was, but if his "facts" there are as good as the pledge-smear he is delusional.

Same thing when I mentioned Ron Paul.

He's a kook (this is the response I get from all Republicans I mention Ron Paul to).

Kook? Why? Which of his policies do you disagree with?

Um, he's a Nazi.

Huh?

Yeah, he's a Nazi. It's on the internet.

Huh?

Yep.

So I checked that out too. Started when some neo-Nazi donated $500 to Ron Paul's campaign. Obviously Ron Paul is not a Nazi - in fact, he is the most anti-authoritarian, anti-statist, pro-freedom candidate of them all. I sent the facts on this to the guy. No response.

Many Americans want so bad to believe that America never makes mistakes, that we're in Iraq to spread Democracy, that this economy is the "greatest story never told", that the rich pay too much in taxes, that global warming is a myth, that George W. Bush is a great leader, and that all our problems are due to Mexicans and George Soros. We call these people "Republicans".

Sadly, to be a Republican now, after the last six years, is really akin to having a contagious delusional mental illness. I propose we name it after Larry, but Bill O'Reilly Palsy or Rush Limbaugh Disease work too.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home